Hawaii Division of Transportation reminds drivers there are “No Excuses” and to plan forward throughout Labor Day weekend
HONOLULU – As a part of this yr’s “No Excuses” Marketing campaign, the Hawaii Division of Transportation (HDOT) is partnering with the 4 county police departments to remind drivers that there are not any excuses for driving whereas impaired or dashing. Extra importantly, drivers ought to make plans to have a protected various to ingesting and driving.
Based on preliminary state information for 2021, out of 94 deadly crashes in Hawaii, 47.9 % have been associated to dashing, and 61.7 % of the drivers concerned in deadly crashes examined optimistic for having alcohol and/or medicine of their techniques.
Thus far in 2022, out of 76 deadly crashes within the state, 38.2 % have been associated to dashing. Impaired driving-related statistics are at the moment unavailable as a result of toxicology outcomes are nonetheless pending.
“After a crash there’s no excuse for dashing or driving drunk,” HDOT Deputy Director for Highways Ed Sniffen stated. “Even in case you’ve made it dwelling safely after making dangerous selections up to now, it simply takes one time for tragedy to strike.”
Along with teaming up with its visitors security companions on the next “No Excuses” marketing campaign initiatives:
- Public service bulletins are airing on tv and radio to remind drivers to decelerate and benefit from the journey, and that there isn’t a excuse for dashing or driving whereas impaired.
- Visitors security schooling outreach by way of social media platforms to strengthen the no excuse for dashing and driving whereas impaired messaging.
- Strict enforcement of Hawaii’s dashing and impaired driving legal guidelines all through the weekend and vacation.
HDOT urges roadway customers to make use of the next protected journey ideas:
- Decelerate and obey the velocity limits
- All the time buckle up – each journey, day or evening, yr spherical
- Plan a protected means dwelling earlier than you begin consuming intoxicants.
- Bear in mind it’s by no means okay to drink and drive. Even one alcoholic beverage can gradual response instances and impair judgement.
- If you already know somebody who’s about to drive whereas impaired, be a real buddy and take their keys away. Assist them make different preparations to get them to their vacation spot safely.