In early 2021, American Airways and JetBlue Airways launched a strategic alliance within the Northeast. The idea behind this partnership is that JetBlue has wonderful connectivity within the Northeast, and American desires to develop its lengthy haul presence out of New York, however wants connecting site visitors.
As a part of this collaboration, the 2 airways supply reciprocal perks for frequent flyers. I’ve written about the reciprocal elite perks offered, and on this publish I needed to try the reciprocal alternatives to earn and redeem miles and factors.
Let’s go over all the main points, beginning with how one can earn factors, after which we’ll discuss how one can redeem factors.
Earn American AAdvantage miles on JetBlue
American AAdvantage lets you earn redeemable miles and Loyalty Factors when touring with JetBlue, whatever the airline you e-book via.
JetBlue is the primary American AAdvantage airline associate the place you earn miles based mostly on how a lot you spend somewhat than as a share of the space that you simply fly. As a matter of truth, mileage incomes mirrors what you’d get on American, all the way down to the elite bonuses (all miles qualify as Loyalty Factors towards standing):
- AAdvantage members earn 5x miles per greenback spent
- AAdvantage Gold members earn 7x miles per greenback spent (40% bonus)
- AAdvantage Platinum members earn 8x miles per greenback spent (60% bonus)
- AAdvantage Platinum Professional members earn 9x miles per greenback spent (80% bonus)
- AAdvantage Government Platinum members earn 11x miles per greenback spent (120% bonus)
There are a couple of additional issues to notice:
- The bottom fare and gas surcharges are thought of qualifying spending, whereas the federal government imposed taxes and costs aren’t thought of qualifying spending
- You’ll be able to’t earn American AAdvantage miles for journey on JetBlue between america and Europe, so JetBlue’s service between New York and London wouldn’t qualify for mileage incomes or Loyalty Factors
- There are generally points with JetBlue accepting a legitimate AAdvantage quantity, wherein case miles may not publish accurately (I’ve dealt with this issue myself)
Earn JetBlue TrueBlue factors on American
JetBlue TrueBlue lets you earn factors when touring on American, and people factors even rely towards Mosaic standing. You’ll be able to earn factors no matter whether or not you e-book with American or JetBlue. Factors incomes charges fairly intently replicate what you’d earn if flying with JetBlue:
- TrueBlue members earn 3x factors per greenback spent (1x factors for primary economic system), which additionally rely towards Mosaic standing
- Mosaic members earn 3x bonus factors per greenback spent
- TrueBlue members who e-book via JetBlue’s web site or app earn an additional 3x factors per greenback spent (1x factors for primary economic system)
As is at all times the case, base fare and gas surcharges qualify as eligible spending, whereas the federal government imposed taxes and costs don’t. There are not any excluded routes right here, as you’ll be able to earn TrueBlue factors on all American Airways routes.
Redeem American AAdvantage miles on JetBlue
It’s potential to redeem American AAdvantage miles for journey on JetBlue, excluding transatlantic flights, which you’ll’t redeem for. Award pricing follows American’s typical associate award chart (with a serious catch), which you’ll see beneath.
What’s the catch?
- JetBlue Mint enterprise class tickets worth based mostly on the “First” column somewhat than the “Enterprise / First” column
- On prime of that, it’s a must to pay an extra 15,000 AAdvantage miles one-way for a lot of Mint routes, together with segments between Boston, New York, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or Palm Seaside, and Los Angeles and San Francisco
What’s award availability like when redeeming on JetBlue via American AAdvantage?
- JetBlue economic system class awards e-book into the “P” fare class
- JetBlue Mint enterprise class awards e-book into the “I” fare class
So long as there’s availability in that fare class for a specific JetBlue flight, you need to have the ability to redeem AAdvantage miles for it.
The place does that depart us on the subject of the flexibility to redeem AAdvantage miles on JetBlue? Financial system redemptions have the potential to be a terrific deal, as you’ll be able to redeem 12,500 AAdvantage miles for a one-way JetBlue economic system ticket inside america. When you’ll at all times need to evaluate it to money charges, that may very well be a great deal.
JetBlue Mint redemptions are a bit trickier. You’ll usually pay 65,000 AAdvantage miles one-way for a transcontinental Mint ticket. Personally I value AAdvantage miles at ~1.5 cents every, in order that’s the equal of paying near $1,000 value of miles for a one-way ticket.
You’ll typically discover cheaper JetBlue Mint tickets than that, however then once more, if you happen to’re reserving final minute that may very well be a cut price in comparison with the money value.
Redeem JetBlue TrueBlue factors on American
Quite frustratingly, it’s nonetheless not potential to redeem JetBlue TrueBlue factors for journey on American. That is one thing that was alleged to be rolled out already, nevertheless it hasn’t occurred. As of now, JetBlue merely states that “we’re working to make that potential sooner or later.”
Whereas JetBlue has some airline partnerships, sadly redemption alternatives with TrueBlue factors are severely restricted.
American and JetBlue have a partnership. Not solely does this supply reciprocal elite perks, nevertheless it additionally affords reciprocal factors incomes and redemption alternatives (besides you’ll be able to’t redeem JetBlue factors on American).
I’d say this partnership is about as nicely executed because it may very well be, when it comes to the flexibility to earn factors for journey on the opposite airline, in addition to the flexibility to redeem AAdvantage miles on JetBlue.
What do you make of AAdvantage & TrueBlue reciprocal factors alternatives?