Summer season travels are underway, and extra persons are out on the roads. Whereas we’re targeted on summer time enjoyable, it isn’t a time to grow to be complacent and depart vehicles unsecured. Not discovering your automotive the place you parked it’s a gut-wrenching feeling and is sadly a standard expertise. Auto theft is on the rise, and with July being Car Theft Prevention Month, we’re right here to ensure you don’t grow to be a sufferer!
In line with the Nationwide Freeway Visitors Security Administration (NHTSA), analysis reveals that in 2020 alone, 804,400 automobiles had been stolen in america, which is an 11.8% improve from 2019. Inside that quantity, passenger vehicles made up greater than 74% of all stolen automobiles, with solely 56.4% of all stolen automobiles being recovered. On common, a motorcar was stolen each 39 seconds. These motorcar thefts price automobile house owners greater than $7 billion.
With higher know-how being developed for motor automobiles, it’s possible you’ll consider that vehicles at the moment are theft-proof, however that isn’t the case. Use the information under, provided by NHTSA and Autotrader, to forestall motorcar theft and educate your group on the hazards concerned:
- Park in well-lit areas
- Shut and lock all home windows and doorways once you park
- Cover valuables out of sight, similar to within the glove field or trunk
- Don’t depart your keys in your automobile
- Don’t depart the realm whereas your automobile is working
- Get a very good automotive alarm
- Add a car-theft monitoring system
In line with the Insurance coverage Info Institute (iii), in Massachusetts, there have been 6,835 motorcar thefts in 2020. Don’t wait to take motion, it may occur to you. Preserve your self and one another secure. When you or somebody is a sufferer of auto theft, comply with these steps advisable by NHTSA:
- Contact police instantly to file a stolen-vehicle report: You will want a duplicate of the police report and/or case quantity to offer to your insurance coverage firm. You’ll want to present the next info: license plate quantity, make, mannequin, and shade of the automobile, and Car Identification Quantity (VIN)
- Contact your insurance coverage firm to file a declare inside 24 hours of the automobile being stolen
- When you discover your automobile earlier than authorities do, contact the police and your insurance coverage firm instantly
MassDOT’s Freeway Help Program, sponsored by MAPFRE Insurance coverage, is on patrol to assist all motorists, together with motorcyclists, on the highways. Patrol operators monitor among the state’s busiest highways round Metro Boston, Worcester, Springfield and Cape Cod (seasonal). The Freeway Help Patrol covers 13 main state roadways and interstates, the Emergency Service Patrol covers the Mass Pike (I-90) from New York to Boston and the Incident Response Operators cowl the Metropolitan Freeway System and tunnels. The Freeway Help Patrol is in service Monday–Friday between the hours of 6 a.m.–10 a.m. and three p.m.–7 p.m. Throughout holidays, there are prolonged routes in heavy site visitors areas. On I-90, and in Boston’s tunnel system, help is offered 24 hours per day, 7 days every week.
Your mates at MAPFRE Insurance coverage