Catalan delicacies, neo-Gothic structure, sandy seashores, rugged mountains, and a colourful historical past. Did we point out Catalan delicacies? Barcelona, Spain has each motive to be excessive on the record for journey bucket lists.
The town is a mix of influences, there’s the general Spanish tradition however tucked alongside proud Catalan tradition. There’s a lengthy historical past of independence claims, civil warfare and unrest. Combine this in with an enormous migrant and expat neighborhood and also you discover a mix of cultures, cuisines, languages and kinds.
Perhaps you want to keep within the coronary heart of the outdated city and Gothic structure, or do you need to expertise the mix of metropolis and seashore in Barceloneta? It might be that you’re extra of an uptown kinda individual and need to keep within the coronary heart of Eixample, surrounded by towering buildings, countless buying alternatives and Gaudi round what looks like virtually each nook.
Both manner, we’ve the perfect of the barrios (neighborhoods) laid out so that you can determine for your self!
This information was written by Sensible Wanderlust’s Head of E-mail and Affiliate Advertising and marketing Natalie Collins, Barcelona resident, avid metropolis explorer and fellow Cava lover. Take it away, Natalie!
Psst: Searching for extra issues to do in Barcelona throughout your journey? We’ve bought a put up about our favourite food & wine tour in Barcelona, which we extremely advocate. We even have extra posts on travel in Europe.
Psst: Obtain the strolling tour to search out all of the hidden spots from a Barcelona resident!
Barcelona Journey Suggestions
Earlier than we dive into the barrio round-up, listed below are just a few suggestions that will help you put together on your journey to Barcelona.
- Be conscious of the season: Barcelona splendidly experiences all 4 seasons, so don’t assume it’s heat year-round. Winter will get chilly and damp! One of the best months for vacationers are the Spring (late March to early June) and Autumn (late September to early November) months. Temperatures are comfy, and town parks and tree-lined avenues look lovely. Additionally means fewer thick winter layers to pack!
- Put together just a few Spanish phrases: Barcelona is in Catalonia, a Spanish area with a historical past of independence claims from the Spanish state. True Barcelona locals are sometimes fiercely Catalan, with Catalan as their first language, Spanish second and English coming someplace after that if wanted. So you’ll do higher with both a fundamental grasp of Spanish and even some Catalan – don’t simply assume you will get away with English, though most vacationer locations do communicate English!
- Keep protected: Pickpockets are an enormous downside in Barcelona, and the locations I like to recommend avoiding are the worst locations you’re more likely to encounter thieves. Don’t depart your telephone on a desk, hold your valuables in a cash belt, don’t journey carrying an expensive-looking watch and hold your bag both tied to your chair or in your knee. At all times be vigilant!
- Eat all of the food and drinks all of the cava: Catalan and Spanish delicacies is scrumptious, with numerous recent hearty substances, good olive oils and little tapas plates. There’s additionally the Basque affect with some nice pintxo eating places, which is my favourite option to eat! Cava can also be made within the area so respectable cava prices little or no. Take a food and wine tour when you can to expertise it multi function afternoon.
- Don’t name it Barca: Locals and long-term residents get actually sniffy about Barca/Barna. The right abbreviation is Barna; Barca is the soccer staff. I nonetheless really feel bizarre calling it Barna so simply follow Barcelona.
- Deliver comfy strolling sneakers: The town is extremely walkable however components of it are hilly and you’ll cowl much more floor than you understand whereas gawking on the structure. So pack respectable sneakers you already know will hold your ft blissful and benefit from the stroll! To assist, we’ve bought a Barcelona self-guided walking tour – and we’ve additionally bought solutions for the perfect strolling sneakers for journey. Listed here are our favourite journey sneakers for men and for women.
- Totally different areas even have totally different hyperlinks to different components of town: The metro system is superb and pretty simple to navigate however when you favor to keep away from utilizing it or buses then you might want to base your self strolling distance to the stuff you need to see or no less than on the identical metro line to keep away from a number of stops and adjustments. An space could also be quarter-hour away in a taxi however takes 45 minutes by metro or bus, so have in mind the place you need to be in relation to the place you need to keep.
- Keep away from short-term condominium leases: The housing market in Barcelona has been monopolized by vacationer leases, driving costs up a lot greater than is inexpensive for residents and creating plenty of scams and disparity. Resorts have been badly affected by the pandemic so that they deserve the help slightly than grasping property house owners who would slightly depart an condominium empty as a substitute of renting it for an affordable value to an area. There are even new legal guidelines limiting vacationer licenses and you’re not allowed to lease a room short-term, so don’t contribute to the housing disaster, be a accountable vacationer, and keep in a lodge!
- In case your check-in and check-out instances don’t sync up along with your have to roam the streets and also you want a spot to retailer your baggage, take a look at LuggageHero: This service helps you discover a protected place to maintain your baggage when you’re working round so that you don’t stand out like a blatant vacationer! Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
The place to Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona is damaged up into separate neighborhoods known as barrios, every with its personal distinct character, vibe and attraction. To the uninitiated, chances are you’ll wrestle to know the place to go and what to do, however don’t fear, I bought you coated!
As with many cities, there’s additionally an enormous financial variation. Strolling alongside Passeig de Gràcia you’ll see consumers swinging baggage from Gucci, Versace and Saint Laurant, after which step down La Rambla simply 10 minutes away and discover quirky low cost hippy outlets promoting handmade crafts, knock-off clothes and road meals. Barcelona is that type of place!
This provides to the appeal of town, you’re at all times only a brief stroll or turning a nook away from discovering one thing utterly totally different and discovering a hidden gem. Which does make looking down meals and souvenirs actually enjoyable – every little thing your coronary heart needs will be present in Barcelona!
Outdated Metropolis: El Born & Gothic
The outdated a part of Barcelona is the very first thing that involves thoughts for many vacationers after they consider Barcelona, and it’s true it’s the most charming a part of town. Stuffed with outdated winding streets, lovely historic buildings, church buildings, cute eating places and hidden options round each nook.
That is the place you will see that Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum, Arc de Triomf, La Rambla, and a complete host of different well-known landmarks. It truly is the perfect place to remain in Barcelona for a primary go to.
Nonetheless, you do want to choose rigorously as some streets are slightly shadier than others, some are noisy, and people cute winding streets aren’t as enjoyable to remain in when you don’t see daylight out of your lodge room window.
This barrio has nice transport hyperlinks to the remainder of town and is a brief stroll to the seashore, with components of it opening out onto the marina at Port Vell so that you get views of the blue Mediterranean Sea. The world can also be extra open to vacationers so that you usually tend to discover a place to seize a espresso and a pastry if you’re an early morning kind of individual.
That is additionally the perfect place to base your self if you’re planning on taking our Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona. A lot of the tour covers this space and can also be the place you end so you’re a brief stroll again to your lodge afterward.
The place to Keep in El Born & Gothic
There are a combination of dear motels on this space in addition to some critically finances hostels. Beneath are a few of our favorites:
- Hostal Fernando is a type of good types of hostels with clear, shiny rooms. It additionally overlooks Església de Sant Jaume, which is a reasonably, outdated church. Historical past in your windowsill!
- For one thing slightly fancier Barcelona Hotel Colonial is true within the coronary heart of Gothic in a wonderful colonial constructing, a brief stroll down the road takes you to Port Vell Marina and a visit in another route takes you thru medieval streets.
- If you wish to keep as shut as doable to the eccentric La Rambla then the May Ramblas Hotel is the one for you. It’s situated only some doorways down a facet road from La Rambla and can also be the identical road you head right down to get to the Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi.
Barceloneta / Seaside
For these trying extra for the seashore vibes then Barceloneta is for you. This barrio is a small space made up of completely aligned streets so it’s virtually unimaginable to get misplaced. To at least one facet is Port Vell, to the south is the seashore, head north to El Born and east to Villa Olympica, the Olympic village from when Barcelona hosted the 1992 summer season Olympics.
Barceloneta correct is a good place to really feel you’re staying proper on the seashore with out lacking out on that Barcelona outdated metropolis appeal. The buildings aren’t essentially as fairly as different components of town however the seashore ambiance is sort of year-round.
You’ll discover chiringuitos (seashore bars) open from Spring to mid-Autumn and there are at all times individuals skateboarding and curler skating down the cycle paths alongside the entrance, so be careful as you stroll!
The place to Keep in Barceloneta / Seaside
There are just a few bigger motels on this space as you’d count on with it being beachside however the costs are wildly costly. Try the well-known landmark lodge The W, lovely and epic views however out of finances for many vacationers! You possibly can nonetheless catch the views at their rooftop cocktail lounge and nightclub, when you can snag a desk!
- Whereas technically not in Barceloneta it’s simply throughout the highway from the place the barrio begins, the Hotel Oasis has a tremendous rooftop pool and terrace and appears out in direction of the marina. From right here you possibly can entry El Born, Gothic and Barceloneta in only a brief stroll.
- Hotel 54 Barceloneta is true on the entrance overlooking the marina and steps away from the seashore, this could be my decide if going for the seashore lodge choice. The rooftop bar can also be like slightly backyard paradise, excellent for resting after an extended day of exploring.
- For a extra finances room, the Sea Hostel is a good decide for dorm room-style lodging, it is usually subsequent door to a restaurant, Buenas Migas, that does fairly wonderful pastries. Get up early, seize a espresso and pastry for a dawn stroll alongside the seashore.
Welcome to Eixample, the world that you just’ll see most in aerial pictures of Barcelona, these excellent purple sq. blocks and streets aligned to OCD ranges. This a part of town is the place the well-known avenues of Diagonal and Passeig de Gracia run by way of, it’s the place the designer outlets are and can also be the bigger of the districts in Barcelona.
The roads are additionally very driveable, except for the irritating purple mild cease/begin system which does make visitors heavier right here. However most motels have respectable sound insulation so you possibly can keep away from visitors noise so long as you retain your home windows closed.
This space is charming for its typical Barcelona model with lengthy avenues, Guadi’s spectacular buildings, and delightful balconies. You’ll discover Casa Batlo and Casa Mila, Plaza Catalunya to the south, Casa de les Punxes and lots of different architectural beauties. Strolling round this space you’ll simply hold stumbling into one other lovely constructing after one other, and when you get onto a rooftop someplace you’ll see much more.
The buying can also be unimaginable right here with every little thing from high-end designer shops, to excessive road buying, to unbiased boutiques. If you wish to store with out having to stroll far to drop your baggage again on the lodge, that is the place to do it.
This space can also be rather well related with public transport, the buses run frequently and there are plenty of metro stations in addition to practice stations at each Passeig de Gràcia and at Plaza Catalunya.
The place to Keep in Eixample
As you’d count on there isn’t a scarcity of motels in Eixample, from simpler budgets to luxurious high-end motels. Listed here are some fo the perfect ones:
- After I first arrived in Barcelona I booked into Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via and it’s the place I like to recommend associates to remain for an excellent worth lodge. The employees was a dream throughout my keep, the rooms are shiny and comfy and it’s canine pleasant!
- For bougie fanciness proper on Passeig de Gràcia with the views to match the Hotel Royal Passeig de Gràcia is a good selection, and although the value is slightly greater it’s not eye-watering. You could possibly go all out for a set with a non-public terrace or simply benefit from the rooftop terrace which is equally beautiful.
- If you wish to exit your lodge to the odor of recent bread and pastries then you might want to guide Praktik Bakery, with rooms as recent because the bread and a brief stroll to Diagonal. Simply make certain to not hang around and go discover (hehehe)!
The place else to remain in Barcelona aside from near the long-lasting Basílica de la Sagrada Família! If that is your foremost motive for visiting Barcelona, and no person will choose you whether it is then that is the place to remain. You possibly can meander across the cafes within the space, sit in parks surrounding the basílica and usually gaze on the unimaginable work of Antoni Gaudí.
Admittedly the restaurant selections aren’t the finest, and aside from the Sagrada itself, the structure isn’t the prettiest in Barcelona, however it’s tremendous near Eixample and straightforward to get to different components of town.
The place to Keep in Sagrada Família
In fact, if you’re staying on this space you then completely want a lodge with views of the basílica, which aren’t the most affordable rooms within the metropolis however there are some well-priced motels price checking into.
- Sensation Sagrada Família has serviced residences with a wonderful shared roof terrace overlooking the long-lasting church. Right here you will get the bonus of a non-public condominium whereas nonetheless having the chance to take pleasure in a shared house with fellow vacationers.
- For a lodge choice, the Sercotel Rosellón has shiny rooms, an excellent breakfast and a roof terrace with solar loungers pointing at Sagrada, an iconic option to spend a day when you ask me!
Searching for a hidden boho artist vibe? Then Gràcia is your spot. Till the nineteenth century, this was an unbiased city and residents are sometimes long-term locals and happy with their neighborhood.
Now the world is stylish and stuffed with unbiased outlets, boutiques, and cafes. Plaça de Sol is a central level the place individuals hang around to socialize, drink and indulge within the bakeries and gelato outlets close by.
This space is comparatively near Passeig de Gràcia however looks like a special world to the designer shops and busy avenue. The streets are largely pedestrianized and there’s a extra eclectic combine of individuals strolling the streets.
The world can also be identified for its festivals, historically every neighborhood has its personal mini-festivals however the one in Gràcia is broadly often called the perfect. Streets are lined with decorations and stalls, with some streets working in competitors for the perfect decor. Though bear in mind when you go to in the summertime throughout these festivals you shouldn’t count on any peace and quiet, the events can go on all evening!
The place to Keep in Gràcia
This isn’t a primary selection amongst vacationers so you’ll really feel such as you’ve hit slightly hidden gem, and motels are usually slightly cheaper too.
- Hotel Ronda Lesseps is a cute lodge with a wonderful inside courtyard backyard connected to the lodge bar. It is usually only a 15-minute stroll to a different of Gaudí’s iconic designs, Parc Güell. Benefit from the peace hidden away from the bustle of town on this little oasis.
- A extra upmarket choice with a rooftop pool is the Catalonia Park Güell lodge, costs aren’t vastly totally different however it’s barely extra exterior the central a part of Gràcia. Rooftop swimming pools in motels are an actual deal with however they do get busy so bear in mind to order a solar lounger on your afternoon poolside.
Canine-Pleasant Resorts in Barcelona
In case you are like the remainder of Workforce Sensible Wanderlust and are a proud canine proprietor you’ll be happy to listen to that Barcelona is a good place to journey along with your furry finest good friend.
Most eating places are accommodating, plenty of outlets have water bowls exterior for passing canine and it isn’t unusual to see canine becoming a member of buying journeys. My canine loves coming buying, it often means getting numerous love from retailer attendants, treats and new locations to smell.
Actually most locations you possibly can convey your canine with you, much more so if it’s a smaller canine. Nonetheless, simply bear in mind that in the summertime months (from Could to October) canine aren’t allowed on the principle seashores so you’ll have to discover the dog beach simply exterior the principle metropolis middle.
After I arrived in Barcelona with my pup I booked right into a dog-friendly lodge and I’ve just a few associates who’ve additionally achieved the identical. A number of motels are used to canine companions and accommodate them fairly simply. So when you journey along with your little good friend these are the perfect locations to remain.
- Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella: This lodge is true reverse Ciutadella Park, which is by far among the best parks for canine within the metropolis. Mornings and evenings are a hub for canine house owners with pups taking part in on the grass collectively, and there’s a kiosk within the park for human refreshments. The lodge can also be a brief stroll to the seashore and throughout from El Born, completely positioned for exploring town. The lodge itself is gorgeous, it’s designed to merge nature with native structure and magnificence, and the bar space is spacious and overlooks the park. There’s additionally a stunning outside space to take pleasure in an aperitif.
- Hotel Balmes: An actual gem of a lodge, they really have a particular bundle for canine, Keep & Canine. This treats your pup as a particular visitor with its personal mattress, meals and water bowls, treats and snacks and toys, and housekeeping can also be delicate to their particular guests. There’s additionally an African artwork assortment all through the lodge, a backyard and a pool.
- Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via: This lodge has 2 areas not too removed from one another, as talked about after I arrived in Barcelona I stayed on the Gran By way of lodge and it was really unimaginable. The rooms are clear and spacious, and the employees are wonderful and really accommodating. The identical vibe can also be at their different lodge Diputación, each are in Eixample and rather well situated for accessing the remainder of town.
The place To not Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona as a complete is fairly protected and there are few areas to keep away from, these are often simply sure streets slightly than entire areas and it’s extra of simply being conscious slightly than anticipating to be robbed. You hear horror tales and sure they do occur however if you’re an skilled traveler and hold your wits about you, you’ll be advantageous. It helps to bear in mind that Barcelona has plenty of poverty and the typical wage completely doesn’t match the price of residing and housing right here.
There’s additionally a big impoverished migrant inhabitants and homeless individuals in sure areas, if this offends you then higher to keep away from town solely as nobody space is healthier than others.
Other than that, there are some areas of town which are simply not price staying in, and I’ll clarify the place and why.
Usually while you hear tales of pickpockets, you’re listening to tales of Raval, which is situated to the west facet of La Rambla.
The world is charming in its personal manner, however I wouldn’t advocate it for vacationers. There are some nice eating places tucked away and a few actually enjoyable bars however strolling residence in the dead of night will not be advisable.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: In case you are nonetheless searching for the quirky outdated city model that components of Raval have then keep in Gothic as a substitute. You’ll nonetheless have the identical tourist-friendly hustle and bustle and loads of outdated buildings to marvel at however much less of the after-dark considerations. May Ramblas Hotel is properly situated for La Rambla with out the night security challenges.
Sant Gervasi-Galvany is up within the hills of town and could be very residential. Housing will be fairly costly right here and the boutiques and cafes cater to a special clientele than what most vacationers could be all in favour of.
It’s near the hills of Tibidabo, Barcelona’s highest peak, and the views throughout town will be beautiful however transport hyperlinks aren’t nice so will probably be an extended stroll or a number of metro and bus stops to get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: Shut by is Eixample, this has the identical metropolis residential vibe however with extra appeal and simpler entry to the remainder of town. Additionally think about Gràcia for a similar causes. Praktik Bakery provides you that very same native vibe however in a greater location.
For those who hunt for lodging that’s quick access to the airport then that is the primary neighborhood to take a look at, it is usually near the long-lasting Montjuïc which is fantastic to discover. You may as well go see the fountain present at Plaza Espanya.
Nonetheless, to get wherever you will want to leap on the metro or practice, it’s properly related however if you wish to stroll to the remainder of town you should have fairly an extended stroll. It’s a quieter space to remain in however the fixed want to make use of the metro can sluggish you down.
Additionally as it’s a foremost transport connection level it does are usually actually busy within the stations, which might get overwhelming if you’re determining the right way to get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: For straightforward entry to the airport look near Plaza Catalunya. The metro cease is central so will get you the place you might want to be in addition to the Sants cease does. It is usually a foremost level for the airport shuttle buses to start out from, which is by far the best option to get to the airport fairly cheaply. Praktik Bakery once more is rather well situated for ease to journey.
The place to Keep in Barcelona: Abstract
That’s various info! So to wrap it up right into a bite-size piece, right here we’ve an at a look abstract:
- The Finest Areas to Keep in Barcelona: Go for the Outdated Metropolis or Eixample for traditional Barcelona vibes.
- The Finest Resorts in Barcelona: Finest choices are Barcelona Hotel Colonial, Hostelin Barcelona Gran Via and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella, any of these will make your keep iconic.
- The Finest Canine-Pleasant Resorts in Barcelona: Once more one other vote for Hostelin Barcelona Gran By way of and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella. Can’t beat these for canine lovers!
So why aren’t we recommending any AirBnBs? Briefly, AirBnB and brief time period condominium leases have screwed the housing market in Barcelona, in addition to many different cities all over the world. Discovering an precise residence within the metropolis is an actual downside and the costs have been pushed so excessive by vacationer leases that the typical individual can’t afford them. Legal guidelines have now restricted vacationer licenses however this hasn’t achieved a lot to cease the issue that was already created. So that you don’t contribute to the very actual housing disaster within the metropolis, we advocate you to be a responsible traveler and select to remain in motels as a substitute, which have been after all closely affected by the pandemic and deserve all of the vacationer love once more.
That ought to provide the finest concepts of the place to remain so you possibly can plan the remainder of your journey! If you are within the strategy planning stage don’t overlook to enroll in our Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona to get a downloadable information to discover town!
Which space would you want to remain in? Is there a sure a part of Barcelona you’re most enthusiastic about seeing? Tell us within the feedback under
Psst: Planning extra journeys to European cities? We now have explored a few!
Psst: Save this put up for afterward Pinterest!