For quick launch: July 1, 2022 (22-096)
Contact: DOH Communications
OLYMPIA — As many put together for Fourth of July gatherings and summer season outings, the Washington State Division of Well being (DOH) needs to remind of us to remain wholesome and rejoice safely.
“Have a secure summer season. Pay attention to hazards and take precautions to guard your self and people round you,” mentioned Umair A. Shah MD, MPH, Secretary of Well being. “A bit planning could make an enormous distinction.”
Some simple methods to organize for a secure and wholesome summer season embody:
- Apply water safety. At all times supervise younger youngsters taking part in in or close to the water. Put on a Coast Guard-approved life jacket that matches you when swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding, or boating. Keep in mind that even water that appears heat on the floor can result in chilly water shock that can incapacitate good swimmers.
- Learn to beat the heat and avoid heat-related health problems. By no means depart any individual or pet in a parked car. Drink loads of fluids and keep in air-conditioned areas when potential. Put on light-weight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothes, and keep away from being outdoors throughout the hottest components of the day. Use excessive SPF sunblock, even when the sky is cloudy or overcast. Test in on household, buddies and neighbors who’re aged or might need assistance, and ensure pets have entry to water and safety from the warmth.
- Observe food safety tips and keep in mind to scrub your palms. Shield your loved ones and buddies from foodborne diseases. Wash your palms with cleaning soap and sanitize all cooking and consuming surfaces. Maintain sizzling meals cold and hot meals chilly, cook dinner meals to secure inner temperatures, and put meals away after not more than two hours at room temperature. Report any foodborne diseases to your native well being division.
- Stop fireworks injuries. Watch fireworks shows from a secure distance. At all times have an grownup supervise fireworks actions and don’t enable younger youngsters to play with or ignite fireworks. Name 911 instantly if somebody is injured.
- For a non-serious harm or sickness, take into account visiting your main care supplier or an urgent care clinic in case you want medical consideration. Going to the emergency division just for true emergencies might help scale back the affect on our hospitals throughout busy occasions like holidays.
- Maintain defending your self and others from COVID-19. Guarantee you might be updated on vaccinations and boosters. Put on a masks in crowded areas and whereas touring. Take a COVID-19 take a look at in case you really feel sick, have been involved with somebody with COVID-19, or are planning to attend an occasion or journey. If you happen to take a look at optimistic, keep house to assist shield your group.
By taking steps to organize, we are able to all do our half to assist hold our communities secure throughout the vacation weekend and past.