Sicily is after all part of Italy and is the most important island within the Mediterranean with a number of points of interest that make it well-known.
This beautiful island is without doubt one of the twenty areas of Italy and is known for things like Mount Etna, The Roman Theatre of Taormina, in addition to the bustling metropolis of Palermo—which is an attraction in its personal proper and may positively be included in your Sicily itinerary.
Sicily is an island that has the right mixture of lovely landscapes, implausible seashores, unimaginable delicacies in addition to one in every of Europe’s greatest climates, so it’s no surprise that this island is a favourite amongst vacationers and holidaymakers.
So, allow us to present you what an 8 day Sicily itinerary may appear to be.
Right here’s the way to plan an eight day Sicily itinerary
Let’s begin off your Sicily journey in Palermo.
Day 1-3: Palermo
You’ll start your dream journey to Sicily, by beginning within the capital metropolis of Palermo which is known for its lovely fountains and superb piazzas. However principally for its unimaginable meals tradition—which is without doubt one of the essential causes you’re in Italy proper?
Sicilian delicacies is out of this world and attracts many individuals for that reason alone, and one of many main points of interest you can not overlook is the traditional La Vucciria food market. This market holds social significance throughout the metropolis in addition to enjoying a central position right here. This iconic meals market is the place you possibly can take pleasure in every kind of scrumptious and native avenue meals, expertise locals having fun with the dolce vita in addition to embrace the vigorous environment, which makes this a standout spot.
To get right here, make your solution to Piazza Caracciolo, Palermo anytime between 7 am and seven pm Monday – Saturday. Palermo is a perfect spot to strive some well-known avenue meals comparable to arancini (Italian rice balls) and sfincione (Sicilian pizza), in addition to take a cooking class to study the secrets and techniques behind these mouthwatering recipes. In the event you’re feeling adventurous, make sure you strive the well-known beef spleen sandwich generally known as pani ca meusa.
With full bellies, you’re able to tackle a few of Palermo’s greatest points of interest over these few days.
- Cattedrale di Palermo: This spectacular Roman Catholic church dates again to 1185, and is a implausible constructing of nice significance throughout the metropolis. It’s open Mon-Sat from 7am-7pm and Solar from 8am-7pm.
- Palazzo Dei Normanni: That is by far one of many best-preserved examples of Arabic-Norman-Byzantine structure and may be visited Mon-Sat from 8:30 am-4:30 pm and Solar from 8:30 am-12:30 pm.
- Teatro Massimo: The most important opera home in Italy and the third-largest on the planet.
If you end up with time in your arms and are searching for extra issues to do, then be certain that so as to add these non-obligatory points of interest to your listing.
- St John of the Hermits: A medieval Norman church with spectacular Arab-Norman structure. You may go to Mon-Sat from 9:30am-6:30am and Solar from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- The Ballaro market: One other market to expertise extra scrumptious Sicilian meals in addition to clothes. You’ll find some mouthwatering fruit, cheeses, recent fish, and native greens. Mon-Sat 7:30 am-8:30pm/Solar 7:30am-2pm.
Day 3-5: Taormina
At the moment, you’ll go away Palermo and comply with the north coast in direction of Taormina, stopping off at Cefalu—a surprising hamlet by the ocean—earlier than persevering with to the east coast of the island. Taormina is a implausible resort city, which is unquestionably price a go to. In your first night, be certain that to take a stroll down the bustling essential avenue of Corso Umberto and decide a bar or restaurant to spend at for the night.
After dinner, why not absorb an open-air efficiency on the Greek Theatre which dates again to the third Century—assured to be an amazing expertise, in addition to present insatiable views of the well-known Mt Etna within the distance.
The subsequent day, there are a number of actions you possibly can get pleasure from on this lovely coastal city, together with:
- Stress-free on one of many seashores comparable to Isola Bella.
- Having fun with the panoramic view from Piazza IX Aprile, which has the perfect view of town and Mt Etna and is, after all, open 24 hours a day to get pleasure from.
- Chiesa Madonna Della Rocco for extra unimaginable metropolis and sea views, a peaceable haven to chill out and the right spot to get pleasure from a glass of native wine. Mon-Solar 8:30am-7pm.
- Alcantara Gorge, which is a 50-minute drive from Taormina and is a geological marvel, in addition to the right place to go to to see superb waterfalls and take a refreshing dip within the Alcantara River.
Spend your second night in Palermo listening to stay music and having fun with some scrumptious Italian delicacies on the town.
Tip: The Godfather followers can go to just a few of the film’s movie areas within the city of Savoca, simply exterior Taormina, which was used because the fictional city of Corleone.
Day 5-6: Catania
After breakfast, you’ll go away Taormina and head to Catania. Nonetheless, you’ll after all be stopping at one of the vital well-known points of interest on the island alongside the way in which–Mount Etna. This energetic stratovolcano is the tallest volcano in Europe and attracts many guests to marvel on the sheer sight of this pure attraction. You may both tackle the Mt Etna path, which is round a 1-hour return and is of medium grade, or you possibly can merely spend a while having fun with the views and the countless picture alternatives earlier than persevering with to Catania.
Associated learn: The World’s Most Famous Volcanoes
Be aware: Whereas Italy is mostly not an unsafe place to go to, you ought to be conscious of pickpockets and petty theft, particularly in touristy areas, so be vigilant and handle your valuables in locations comparable to this.
Catania is the second-largest metropolis in Sicily and is a spot that you simply simply can not overlook in your Sicily itinerary planning. When arriving, count on to be greeted by a implausible view of Mount Etna, which types the long-lasting backdrop of this beautiful metropolis. Right here you’ll spend the night absorbing the environment of town in all its glory, which is obvious on the Piazza Duomo.
The next day you’ll have the entire day to discover town’s sights, together with:
- Palazzo Biscari: Go to this marvelous palace for its unimaginable Catanese Baroque structure, full with beautiful frescos. Provided that this historic location is now getting used for live shows, verify their website for upcoming unmissable occasions. Mon-Solar 10am-1pm.
- The Cathedral of Catania: This lovely and historic cathedral is centrally positioned, so there isn’t a cause to overlook out on seeing the fantastic baroque structure which makes this so standard. Be looking out for the domed roof, the columned facade, and the quite a few frescoes that may be admired for hours. Devoted to the patron saint of Catania, St Agatha, whose pageant is held from February 3rd – 5th. Mon-Sat 10:30am-12pm/4pm-5:30pm, closed Sundays.
Throughout your time sightseeing in Catania, be certain that to refresh your self with a chilly and fruity beverage from one of many historic Catania kiosks which date again to the 1800s and are present in most of the piazzas, particularly Piazza Umberto. Get pleasure from one other lovely night in Catania, with a scrumptious native dinner of Pasta Alla Norma (pasta and eggplant) and a surprising sundown over Mount Etna, as you absorb all you have got encountered right this moment, as a part of your 8 day Sicily itinerary.
Day 6-8: Siracusa
At the moment, after a recent and engaging Italian breakfast, alongside some world-famous espresso, you’ll set your self up for the day and make your solution to Siracusa, which is a perfect spot to find its points of interest in addition to being near some main stop-off factors too. In your approach right here, you possibly can cease on the archeological website of Agrigento, which is without doubt one of the most vital historic websites on the entire island. After marveling on the numerous mesmerizing ruins, you’ll proceed to Siracuse, the place extra journey awaits.
In your first day in Siracusa, you’ll get the possibility to find many issues, together with:
- The Fontana Diana on the Piazza Archimed: Courting again to 1907, this can be a main characteristic within the metropolis of Siracusa, which is devoted to the Goddess, Diana.
- Ortigia, which is accessed by way of a bridge and is known for its unimaginable Baroque fashion Piazza del Duomo–among the best in Italy.
In your second day in Siracusa, you’ll go to Modica, which is a haven for the candy tooth, provided that it’s well-known for the Modica candies—which you’ll be able to style and, after all, take dwelling. This city is famed for its lovely array of historic buildings, its chocolate museum, and its tiny slim, picturesque streets.
You’ll spend the remainder of the day as you please, wandering this lovely hilly city, earlier than making your approach again to Catania in your final night in Sicily, closing off your implausible 8 day Sicily itinerary.
Planning your journey to Sicily