For a lot of vacationers, the wait is over and it’s time to get away with a visit via the airport. With that in thoughts, vacationers are requested to reach early and be affected person via Seattle-Tacoma Worldwide Airport (SEA).
Memorial Day vacation journey will see a surge in numbers, with about one-third greater than in 2020, whereas a squeeze in pandemic results requires some superior planning for a clean expertise.
Extra vacationers proceed to make use of their very own automobiles to reach on the airport, so parking can be a steady problem. Alternate methods to get to SEA is inspired resembling utilizing rideshares, Hyperlink mild rail, and public transit. Similar to different areas within the area, as soon as contained in the airport, staffing challenges are affecting providers from checkpoints to concessions, and airways. Please issue in additional time to keep away from tight squeezes to get to your flight. Higher early, than late!
The surge and the squeeze
Memorial Day vacation traveler numbers are anticipated to be one-third increased than in 2021, that’s about 80% of pre-pandemic numbers from 2019. The busiest days to journey are Thursdays and Fridays in addition to Sundays and Mondays. The busiest occasions on the TSA safety checkpoints at SEA are 5 a.m. to 10 a.m., 2 p.m. to five p.m., and 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.
The busiest days are anticipated to be Friday, Could 20, with simply over 150,000 passengers touring via the airport (departing, arriving and connecting). The Friday earlier than the vacation, Could 27, initiatives a drop-off to 137,000 passengers, adopted by Thursday, Could 26, at 134,000 passengers. That’s near the busiest days we’ve seen for the reason that pandemic again in August of final yr. Pre-pandemic passenger numbers reached as excessive as 178,000 per day throughout Memorial Day in 2019. SEA forecasts passenger numbers for the yr can be about 6% beneath 2019 ranges with close to full restoration in 2023 at about 1% lower than 2019.
It could have been some time since your final flight, however don’t underestimate how lengthy your expertise might take throughout peak journey intervals. Vacationers can find stress-free ways to skip the road and make their journey extra predictable.
What’s the very best recommendation for vacationers?
- Get right here early! Relying in your wants, chances are you’ll want extra time. Be sure you’re on the airport at the least two hours earlier than your boarding time for a home flight and three hours earlier than a world flight.
- Masks are not required on the airport, nonetheless, the CDC recommends sporting a masks throughout journey. Examine your vacation spot’s COVID-19 requirements for entry, if wanted XpresCheck has testing available on the bags declare degree.
- The SEA Airport parking storage continues to be busy. Consider alternate modes of journey to get to the airport or arrive an additional 45 minutes earlier to discover a place to park.
- Use SEA Spot Saver to order your spot within the TSA line and keep away from congested safety traces on the airport.
- Obtain (or replace!) the flySEA App for dwell checkpoint wait occasions. As a bonus, it is also a one-stop useful resource for traveler alerts, parking spot tracker, maps, and extra data.
- Use Order SEA, our cellular ordering service, together with gate supply for meals from everywhere in the airport or choose up so you possibly can seize and go to your gate.
Airport parking can be a problem
Why is parking so congested? Demand is up and provide is down. Extra clients are driving personal automobiles than selecting experience share or public transit. Pandemic-related closures lowered the variety of parking stalls within the space exterior the airport whereas a storage enchancment challenge and a latest fireplace has led to momentary reductions on the SEA storage. Shuttle bus driver shortages additionally proceed to influence the provision of off-site parking choices for airport workers.
Security first, keep away from shoulder parking
Autos are inspired to make use of the brand new reconfigured cellphone lot and keep away from harmful parking alongside the shoulder of the airport drives. Violators can be cited because the Port of Seattle Police are working with the Washington State Patrol for emphasis patrols through the vacation.
Alternate methods to get to SEA Airport
- Keep away from the hassles of driving with Sound Transit’s Link light rail. Public transit is by far the best choice if you wish to keep out of a visitors jam.
- Catch a experience with taxis or app-based rideshares like Uber and Lyft, or different modes of ground transportation.
- Rent your own ride. All rental automotive firms function at an off-site rental automotive facility the place devoted shuttle buses transport passengers totally free 24-hours-a-day, twelve months a yr.
- Pedal power! Sure, you possibly can even bicycle to the airport with bike racks and two methods to entry the airport on a motorcycle. If you happen to nonetheless plan to park, anticipate 45-60 minutes to discover a stall
- Off-site parking amenities are additionally anticipated to be very busy or already full.
- If you happen to’re choosing up or dropping off family members:
- Try the brand new and improved Cell Phone Lot! The brand new entry ramp is a game-changer with higher movement for entry and exiting you possibly can choose up your passengers simpler. Use it as a substitute of shoulder parking, which is harmful and unlawful!
- Travel hack! Use the Departures Drive for pickup at night time and the Arrivals Drive for passenger drop-off within the morning.
Give me the traveler fundamentals
- The CDC guidance for travelers adjustments relying in your COVID-19 vaccination standing. Examine along with your airline for the state or nation the place you intend to journey.
- Be prepared for safety checkpoints. SEA and TSA need to show you how to transfer via security checkpoints as shortly as potential. Vacationers are required to take away electronics bigger than a mobile phone from carry-on baggage. Additionally, take away meals and liquids out of your carry-on baggage, put together to carry up your boarding go for assessment, and put on your masks. It’s also possible to see the newest Identification and Documentation Requirements.
- Want extra journey hacks? Our Customer Care team has the very best recommendation to navigate SEA like a frequent flier.
- SEA is including new providers to make journey extra accessible and enhance the journey expertise past the People with Disabilities Act necessities. Try our SEA Social Story developed for traveler with sensory sensitivities resembling autism, but in addition nice general ideas for teenagers. Be taught extra about accessibility at SEA. The interactive map on the flySEA App affords accessible route instructions.
- Examine with the Metropolis of SeaTac to see if there are any road construction projects which may hinder your entry to the airport.
Perry Cooper | SEA Airport Media Officer
(206) 787-4923 | email@example.com